Chicago Flights for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX)

Spotlight

ZULU: KJFK: KORD: KLAX:

Chicago Flights: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Message Author
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 pm  

I got a $50 gift card mastercard for my birthday and I'm thinking of spending it on FSX stuff. Any recomendations?

Yos233

Sport Pilot
Sport Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 pm  

Free money! YAY! Very Happy

Well, tell me what you like the most about the sim. Alot of things are expensive but since you have the cash to burn on FSX things, I'll try to do my best to lead you towards the best payware. Just remember that this includes an entire world of scenery, sounds, other add-ons, general aviation, or jets. I have favorites for all. Just let me know what you would use the most and I’ll get back to you on this.

iheart707

Certified Flight Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 am  

I dont need another aircraft so I guess I am into the scenery portion. Right now I have the Imaginsim KATL demo on my computer and am looking at the Flight1 scenery products. A review on those or some new product would be good.

Yos233

Sport Pilot
Sport Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:06 am  

Aerosoft makes some really nice scenery too; however, I need to know what kind of flying you typically do. There are many products that have a tremendous amount of detail in the airports themselves which contrast the others that have a lot of detail in the terrain and surrounding areas rather than the airports themselves. The marketplace for scenery is immense, so I need to have a more defined answer, that’s all.

iheart707

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 am  

I have the PMDG747, so naturally I like flying into the bigger airports of America. Being so high means any terrain for the flatlands like Kansas won't do anything. Perhaps the mountians of Colorado. But back to the airports, I also have Ultimate Traffic 2 by Flight1 so the airports are populated as well. If I had to choose I would go with the airport scenery over the terrain modifications. My hubs are mainly ATL, JFK, BOS, DEN, ORD and LAX.

I have also looked at weather/texture programs like REX and a few others I cannot recall at the moment. Having a medium quality taxiway everywhere might be better than a high quality taxiway in one place. But I am not sure If my computer is up that. Currently with UT2 and PMDG747 loaded I am up to 85-90% loaded on my 2GB RAM. That is the max on my system so getting more is not an option.

Yos233

Sport Pilot
Sport Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:23 pm  

I would recommend then the products from FSDreamTeam. They have made some of the best scenery for FSX and even offer the package as a trial. If you were to install the trial, you would be given a short (very short amount of time) to load up the sim and get a feel for what the airport and it's textures will do to your frame rate. As you were stating, your computer might have problems with the memory being a bottleneck but you 'shouldn't' have a problem with it.

Try a few of them out and get back to me if these are too detailed. They offer plenty from the list of airports you offered so you should have plenty options!

iheart707

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm  

Thanks for your recommendations but I think I will hold off on the scenery. I want to explore the other possible aspects. Thanks for showing me the trials for FSDreamTeam.

Yos233

Sport Pilot
Sport Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm  

Cool It's your money anyways, use it however you want. I'd just like to hear about what you spent it on!

iheart707

View next topic
View previous topic