Chicago Flights for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX)

Spotlight

ZULU: KJFK: KORD: KLAX:

Chicago Flights: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Message Author
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 am  

Hey guys,

I need some help from one of our computer smart people.

I have for the past couple months been trying to play FSX, however I have also been having issues with my FPS. Previously my FPS were always around 20, but in the recent months will start at the normal 20 but by the time I push back and start engines they will drop and stay around 1 or 2. I have noticed that this is also affecting other games like WoW (which I don't even play anymore) and COD

Is this a sign that my video card is junk, or could it be something else.

now things I've tried to fix this are but not limited to the following.

1: Complete reinstall of drivers and updating drivers.
2: I've tried to run the game with the everything graphics wise turned all the way down.
3: complete reinstall of windows + upgrading to windows 7.
4: I am hardwired to the modem/router.

Here is what I have for my system: windows 7 home premium 32 bit, 4 gigs ram, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz, number of physical processors 1, number of logical processors 2, my video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT.

Cecil553

Private Pilot
Private Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 am  

Well the Pentium 4 could be part of your issues. FSX was designed to use multiple core processers like the Core 2 Quad. The graphics card is also a little old, but it should work just fine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are flying where it is really cold and there’s snow on the ground.

Let's start off with the basics. When you taxi, do you notice clouds of snow trailing each wheel on your airplane? Does your computer start to slow when this appears?

iheart707

Certified Flight Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 pm  

It's been doing this before it started snowing, it pretty much slows down with in the first 2 to 3 minutes of being on, no matter what im doing. before it was doing this with the same system specs it was running fine. I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary that could have caused it.

Cecil553

Private Pilot
Private Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 pm  

Well scratch that thought... If you did see an improvement at all in the game, it might be because of a texture transparency issue with your video card. From a firsthand account, I had a similar issue my old 8600 GT. That's why I started with that first.

Hmmm... Have you recently changed your page file size?

Try doing what is included in this video tutorial, and see if it helps. Note that you will need to reboot your system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWCVhk5gTps

iheart707

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 am  

Cecil! Happy New Year Brother!

Obviously this is not an FSX problem, as it seems to happen with other games, too. This could be caused by 2 things: Heat and lack of power. However, I believe this may be a heat issue.

Check your GPU fan, and make sure that it is set to 75%+ when there is a load on the card. Sounds to me like the GPU is slowing to avoid overheating. I believe I did this for you, at one point, but since you reinstalled Windows, it reverted back to the 40% by default. You can right-click the desktop and click on the nVidia Control Panel to access the dynamic system performance.

Let me know if that helps...

Sven2157
*******************************************************************************************************************

Sven2157

Chicago Flights™ Admin
Chicago Flights™ Admin

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 pm  

Sven, I tried to do as you said but when I was in the control panel for the card there was no option to chance the fan. so I went through and did some searching in the panel and discovered that the card was running all games as multiple display performance mode, I switched that to single display performance mode and so far FPS have been holding at 20.

guess from here will have to wait and see if it sticks.

Cecil553

Private Pilot
Private Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm  

test flight with changed settings to graphics card. before pushback and engine start, there wasn't a problem. FPS was between 18 and 20. during pushback they remained the same, but once the engines kicked in FPS dropped to 2 then started to bounce between 2 and 8 and continued to do so untill i got into the air and even then stayed there. once i hit 10k feet in the air, they again stayed the same. at 14k feet fps holding steady at 4.8. Now that I'm at 25k feet im at 5.5 FPS. Landing at this point is going to be impossible to I'm going to abandon this flight.

I should also mention this is while VAFS is running. Before I shut off FSX I'm going to shut off VAFS and see if that improves the FPS at all. I'm now at FL 360 and there is no improvement in FPS even with VASF off. I'm starting to think I need to junk this computer and get a new one. Razz

Cecil553

Private Pilot
Private Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm  

so i messed around with a few things, to find out the temp on my GPU was 111 C, so i opened it up and found the fan had seized up. so I fixed that and the temp has since fallen to 64* C. and FSP are up to 20 again!!!!!!!!!!!! can expect many flights from me now.

Cecil553

Private Pilot
Private Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 pm  

Well that's good to hear that it was a simple fix like so. Hopefully nothing was damaged by the insane amount of heat Shocked! See if you can buy a few zip ties to keep any other junk out of your fans.

But please, consider a new computer if you have the cash! The next time something like that happens, you may not be so lucky! Cool

iheart707

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:17 pm  

that was the first thing i did was zip tie the wire that was stopping it out of the way, i've also decided that since I run duel monitors that I have a NVIDIA system monitor up and running on the other monitor, so at the moment my GPU temp is holding steady at 47*C which translates into 116.6*F. I'm no computer genius but I think that's a decent temp for it to be at. I have also taken extra measure to have the system monitor alert me if the temp goes over 90*C.

Cecil553

Private Pilot
Private Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 pm  

Nvidia's heat warning is good, but there are other things you can do as well to warn you if impending danger.

Depending upon your BIOS settings, you can have the system's internal speaker chime in with a warning if your CPU temp exceeds a certain point. That way you "will not" burn out your chip.

iheart707

View next topic
View previous topic